Thursday 27 February 2014

My Most Used Makeup Brushes

Over the past year or so, I've built up quite the collection of makeup brushes. After trialling brushes from numerous different brands, I've finally found a set that I think make a real difference to my makeup application. Whilst I do incorporate other brushes into my routine, I would consider these six to be staples in my makeup collection.

Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
If you are a regular reader of beauty blogs, I'm sure that you will have heard of the Real Techniques brushes. They are excellent quality, reasonably priced and readily available. This is one of my favourite brushes from the collection, and defiantly the best foundation brush that I've ever tried. This brush is the perfect tool for applying and blending liquid foundation. There is a lot of hype surrounding the Real Techniques Buffing Brush (available as part of the core collection here), but I much prefer this option as it's firmer and more dense. 
Real Techniques Powder Brush
This large, soft and fluffy brush is ideal for using with a setting powder. After applying the rest of my base products, I like to use this brush to lightly buff a powder onto my skin, focusing mainly on the areas where my makeup tends to disappear throughout the day. I also find that this brush works well with a bronzer if I feel like adding some warmth to my complexion.

This soft, medium sized blusher brush is perfect for adding a natural flush of colour to the cheeks. The tapered head also makes it the ideal tool for contouring, but I personally prefer to use the Real Techniques Contour Brush for this step.

The Body Shop Slanted Brush
I picked this brush up one day whilst wandering around The Body Shop with a 50% off voucher. I had been in search of a brush that I could use to fill in my eyebrows with powder products, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on one. Whilst I don't think that this brush is anything particularly special, it's pretty good quality and does the job well.
MAC 217 Blending Brush
This dense, yet soft and fluffy brush is super versatile. I like to use this brush mainly for blending eye shadow through the crease, but it can also be used for all over application and shading. 
If you are looking to purchase a new eye shadow brush, I would definitely recommend investing in this one. It's excellent quality and the perfect multitasker. 

MAC 239 Eye Shader Brush

I debated over whether or not to buy this brush for the longest time, but I'm so pleased that I finally decided to bite the bullet and pick it up. In my opinion, this brush works perfectly when used alongside the MAC 217. I tend to reach for this brush when I want to apply a wash of colour to the entire lid, or if I want to build up the colour more intensely on the outer corners of my eyes. The flat shape of the brush also makes it the perfect tool for applying shadow underneath the eye.

What are your favourite makeup brushes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment